2009-04-14

On Underpants

Today was a fairly sad day for me. I finally had to retire my beloved "Ant in My Pants" boxer shorts. I put them on today for the last time and discovered that the elastic in the waistband, already very loose and warped from a thousand trips through the clothes dryer, had finally given up the ghost.

I've worn these shorts over the years as I've gained weight, and I've worn them as I've lost weight. Time is forgiving, and elastic is forgiving, but I guess time is not forgiving to forgiving elastic.

These were my favorite boxer shorts for a number of reasons, few or no people of consequence will remember that chief among these reasons is that these are the shorts I deliberately wore when the gang went to the Cleveland Cinematheque to watch the 20th anniversary re-release of Stop Making Sense. Now I'll have to wear something banal and uninteresting when I go to see David Byrne perform.

No comments: