2009-03-27

Hurm.

I'm up late tonight building a WiX installer configuration file from scratch for a project. This isn't precisely how I'd normally choose to spend my time, but the alternative is to head out with the gang tonight to see Watchmen.

Frankly, I'd rather stay here and fight with obtuse XML syntax. Why, you may be asking yourself, would I opt to not go see a movie based on my favorite comic series of all time?

Because there is good and there is evil, and evil must be punished.

Tonight, too, shows an unpleasant side of my compulsive nature. I don't want to continually tweak a file, rebuild an MSI, and install it on my laptop to see if the bits fall where they should. I don't want to repeat this process over and over again, and yet I do, adding and removing lines, until it's juuuust right. I've come to the point where the WiX file is pretty much as good as I want to make it, and I'll show it off tomorrow to get some feedback. Until then, even though there's icing I want to put on the cake right now, I'm going to push it to the back of my mind.

Instead, I'm going to do what I'd rather be doing: going upstairs with a tall glass of white wine to dick around with the core voltage on my gaming PC and not coming down until morning.

No comments: