2008-12-11

We Are All Duller Now

The New York Times reports that Bettie Page has passed away at the age of 85.

Our world is now slightly less fun, less enticing and exciting and full of wonder as it once was. There is a reason why Bettie Page's likeness in all its pinup glory has graced lunchboxes, postcards, and all other manner of knick-knacks. With her, the world has lost its grip on mature, fantastic playfulness.

Losing Bettie is the culmination of our own grown-up version of The Nothing, only instead of a slavering wolf-like Gmork, we have USC 2257 legislation.

Last night, aware only that she was in a coma, I updated my IM photo and work ShowSenderPhoto to that of Bettie's classic "decorating the tree" image from the January 1955 issue of Playboy magazine. Every December for the last few years I've done something seasonal. In the past it's been the additional of a Santa hat to my basic Cyberman avatar, but since that makes me want to upchuck a little, I figured Bettie was a nice way to cleanse the palate. With her recent death, I think I might leave her up for a little while longer than planned.

I think we're all going to need her.

No comments: