2008-12-06

Let's Drink, Drink, It's Never Too Late

[Originally written 2008-12-05.]

On this day in history 75 years ago, the United States amended the Constitution and repealed Prohibition.

Perhaps Congress is a poor student, perhaps the bootleggers offered an ineffective lesson. Either way, our government failed to learn that you can't legislate morality. Time and again, our personal freedoms continue to be eroded on all fronts for any of a number of different justifications, all which boil down to the trite "we know what's best for you" maternalism attitude. I'm sure these people are just trying to do what they believe is best, but the problem with this way of thinking is that it leads to legislative actions. Sadly, their benevolent nanny state politics never seem to have an opt-out clause.

I for one am happy to celebrate the day that we Americans took back control of our livers. Maybe I'll destroy mine drinking unfiltered moonshine out of a rusty still somewhere deep in Alabama. You can bitch all you want about whether I should or I shouldn't, but you absolutely do not have the right to tell me I can or I can't.

Same goes for freebasing moonrocks.

I'd really love to drink until I can't feel feelings tonight, but I'm home sick with whatever it is that's going around the office this month. One of the disadvantages of working in a large office with a diverse mix of people from all over the world is that most of them are parents and their hellspawn are seemingly designed to be the world's most perfect viral incubators.

Tomorrow is my org's annual holiday party, which I hope not to miss. I'll drink myself nuts there instead. Promise.

No comments: