2008-10-11

Too Lazy to Care

I keep a laptop behind my pillow.

It's great for those nights when I absolutely, positively have to SSH into something but I don't want to have to get out of bed in order to do it.

99% of the time, that never happens.

So mostly, it just sits there, charged and waiting for the one night a month when I deem fit to have a late-night netfest. I romanticize this kind of activity in my mind by likening it to the image of a kid in bed reading a book under his sheet with a flashlight when he's actually supposed to be asleep.

In reality, it's an exercise in touch-typing and wondering why there isn't an easy, secure way to centralize my bookmarks.

I bring this up because every time I use the damned thing, it prompts me to update all the software that's installed on it, which hasn't happened in about 13 months or so. I couldn't update it if I wanted. I don't know the root password.

I could reinstall the OS, of course, and there's nothing on the laptop I want to keep. Still, that whole idea reeks of effort, and it's just too insignificant a piece of technology in my life to worry about it.

It was, I'm sad to say, not the wisest investment I've made, and yes, I totally regret buying it last year. It's convenient to have, true, but with two other laptops of mine floating around the house it's not like this one is serving any crucial purpose that the other two couldn't.

Especially considering the hassle it would be to make modifications to it.

Every time I get the thought in my head to wipe the drive and get the damned thing functional again, I get tired, lose interest, and end up putting it behind my pillow for another month to forget about it entirely. Lather, rinse, repeat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too many laptops? Let me take them off your hands. muahaha

Alicia