2007-12-19

Boost Mobile

Little-known fact: I have my own subnet that I use to piggy-back off of Monk's wireless access point. This gives me a whole subnet of my own to play with, but I can still use network services like DNS and NTP (without having to roll my own) by using NAT on my own Linksys WRT54G.

In order to make this happen, I re-flashed the firmware with DD-WRT when I first started unpacking out here. Last night, I noticed that I was having awful connectivity problems and packet loss, due largely in part to weak signal between my Linksys and Monk's.

I pulled some wires out and relocated my Linksys to the other side of the room, and have experienced an immediate boost in signal quality of about 11%, and this hasn't changed the network layout at all. I still have megabit transfer speeds without having any cables running into or out of my room. The only difference is that now, I don't get quite as much packet loss.

No comments: